You’ve recently gotten divorce.   As part of your settlement with your former spouse, you have to pay them alimony (spousal support).  The alimony you pay to your former spouse can be deducted from income as an adjustment on your personal tax return.

There are three things you will need to claim as alimony as an adjustment to income for your personal tax return.

1.  Your former spouse’s name.  I wanted inform you that you will need this in case you are trying to forget you were married to them.

2.  The former spouse’s social security number.

3.  The alimony amount paid to your former spouse for the current tax year.

If you’re the spouse that receiving alimony, you will have to claim it on your personal tax return.

Related Articles:

Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.